5 Farm Pride eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups sushi rice
3 cups water
3 tsp canola oil
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
75 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
300 g chicken breast fillet, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 cup dashi stock or chicken stock
50 snow peas, cut into long thin strips
2-3 green onions, finely shredded diagonally
- Put the rice into a sieve and rinse under cold running water; drain.
- Combine the rice and water in a heavy based saucepan.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stand, still covered, for 10 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a deep frying pan or wok, and cook the onion and mushrooms over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft and lightly golden.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar, stir to combine, then add the dashi stock.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Pour the eggs over the mixture, cover (use a baking tray if you don't have a lid) and cook for about 2 minutes, until just lightly set.
- To serve, divide the rice into deep bowls.
- Spoon the chicken and egg mixture, with the broth.
- Top with snow peas and green onions, and serve immediately.
- Note: Sushi rice, dashi and rice vinegar are available at most large supermarkets.
- Make up dashi stock by combining a 10g sachet with 1 cup boiling water.
- You could use chicken stock if dashi is unavailable.