Classic Savoury Souffles
4 Farm Pride eggs, separated
Melted butter, for greasing
1 ½ tbsp dry breadcrumbs
40g reduced fat butter or margarine
3 tbsp plain flour
1 cup reduced fat milk
1 cup finely grated reduced fat vintage cheese
Salt and white pepper
Serve with a slice of crusty wholemeal bread
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Brush the base and sides of six 200 ml ramekins with melted butter.
- Add the breadcrumbs and swirl around to coat the inside of the dishes, shake out the excess.
- Place onto an oven tray.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the flour.
- Stir over medium heat, cooking for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the milk a little at a time, stirring until combined and smooth between each addition.
- Increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil.
- Stir constantly for 2 minutes while the mixture cooks and thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Cool slightly, then whisk in the egg yolks.
- Season to taste and transfer to a large bowl.
- Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites in a large, clean dry bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the cheese mixture to loosen.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold the egg whites through the mixture, taking care not to lose the volume.
- Spoon into the prepared ramekins.
- Run your thumb around the inside edge of each ramekin – this helps give the soufflé a nice shape when cooked.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Serve immediately.