Herb Filled Egg Shell Gardens
In this activity you will grow edible herbs and sprouts out of egg shell gardens which you can then add your favourite egg recipes.
What you need:
- Egg cups or the base of the egg carton
- Seeds, for example dill, watercress or basil, or ask at your local garden centre for easy to grow seeds.
- Small amount of potting mix or small peat pallets
- Butter Knife
- Skewer or chop stick
- Paper towel
- Optional – felt tip pens and food colouring to decorate your egg shell.
- Take your egg and carefully using a butter knife tap a ring around the top like you are going to eat a soft boiled egg. Do this over a bowl so if the whites run out you don’t make a mess.
- Use the tip of the knife to carefully cut the egg lining and remove the top.
- Pour the egg into a clean bowl, if you don’t get any shell in the egg it can be used for cooking. Wash the egg shell in warm soapy water and dry on paper towel.
- Fill the shell to just under the rim with potting mix or if using peat pallets place in the bottom of the shell and follow instructions on the pack. Small amounts of shell can be broken off the edge to make it easier to work in.
- Use the chop stick to make a small hole for the seed. Follow the instruction of the seed packets and plant the seeds in your shell garden. Make sure you check planting seasons found on the back of the packet.
- Put the shell garden in a sunny place and watch your herbs grow. Water them regularly so they don’t dry out.
- If you want to transfer you herbs into the garden crack the bottom of the shell so the roots can grow and plant you egg shell in the garden.
Tips: If you want to draw a face on your egg shell or colour it do this after step 3. Get a grown up to help you colour the shell in simmering water with a few drops of food colouring. Be careful taking the shell out of the water as it will be hot.
Colouring Farm Pride Eggs is a great way to teach kids about nutrition and make it fun for them at the same time.
What you need:
- 1 teaspoon food colouring (approx 3ml)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Saucepan with water
- Farm Pride Eggs
- Add enough water to a saucepan to cover the Farm Pride eggs then add 1 teaspoon vinegar and 1 teaspoon of the desired food colouring.
- Bring water to the boil and boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove eggs from saucepan and drain on absorbent paper.
- For alternative colours remove water and repeat.