George Calombaris – Passionfruit Custard Fool with Granita
- 250ml full cream milk
- 400ml thickened cream
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 20g corn flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 passionfruit, halved and scraped
- 400ml fresh passionfruit juice
- 200ml fresh orange juice
- To make the granita, combine 200g passionfruit and 100g orange juice with 75g sugar. In a small saucepan, bring to a simmer, stir and pour onto a tray and freeze until solid. When required, scrape surface with a fork. If not using immediately, keep in a hermetically sealed container
- Combine milk and 250g cream in a small saucepan over a medium heat, stirring constantly as this cannot be allowed to boil. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk yolks, 75g sugar and corn flour until well combined. Pour hot milk into bowl, whisking continuously. Return mixture to a saucepan over low heat. Stirring constantly for approximately 10 minutes or until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Add passionfruit, stir through. Reserve.
- With the remaining passionfruit and orange juice, place in a small saucepan with 75g sugar and reduce by half. Allow to cool. Whip the remaining thickened cream in a mixing bowl, and add the reduction to it. Combine and refrigerate until required.
- Layer the components in a glass, serve immediately.
Desserts, Spring Racing