Orange Crème Caramel
- 4 Farm Pride eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup sugar, extra
- Sliced strawberries, to top
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and lightly oil six 3/4 cup capacity ramekins.
- Line a baking dish with a tea towel folded into four, and stand the ramekins on it.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan, and stir over low heat without boiling until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for about 8 minutes, until dark golden brown.
- Pour into the base of each ramekin (be careful as the caramel is very hot). Leave to cool and set.
- Place the milk and orange rind into a saucepan, and heat until almost boiling.
- Whisk the eggs and extra sugar together in a bowl, and slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly. Stand for 5 minutes, then strain into a jug.
- Pour into the ramekins. Place into the oven, and pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until set. They will still have a slight wobble. Cool, then remove the ramekins from the dish and chill for 8 hours, or overnight.
- To serve, run a knife around the custard, and invert onto a plate. Serve with sliced strawberries.