Victoria Sponge Cake
- 4 Farm Pride eggs
- 225g of caster sugar, plus a little extra for dusting the finished cake
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 225g of margarine or soft butter at room temperature, plus a little extra to grease the tins
- Strawberry or raspberry jam
- Whipped cream (if you like)
- Get your oven ready by preheating the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins – try using a bit of baking paper to rub the butter around.
- Crack your eggs into a large mixing bowl, pop in the sugar, flour, baking powder and baking spread. Mix everything together until well combined with an electric hand mixer or wooden spoon. Be careful not to over mix too much. Once it’s done the mixture should fall off a spoon easily.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two lined tins
- Pop them in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Check after around 20 to make sure they’re not cooking too fast.
- You’ll be able to tell when they’ve done, because they’ll be golden-brown and coming off the edges of the tins. Press them gently to check – they should be springy to the touch.
- Once they’re done, take them out of the oven and leave aside to cool. Should be 5-10 minutes.
- To take them out of the tins, we recommend running a butter knife around the edge then carefully turning them out onto a cooling rack, leave them there to cool completely.
- To build the actual cake, place one cake upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of jam. You can also spread over whipped cream too! Top with the second cake, top-side up.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar and enjoy!