Create time: 5 mins. Cook time: 10 mins.
- 4 Egg yolks
- 560ml (2 1/4 cups) milk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) thin cream
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) brandy
- Heat the milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until it comes to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl until pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in milk mixture. Return to pan.
- Place over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon for 8 minutes or until the custard thickens and coats back of spoon (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Stir in the brandy. Transfer to a heatproof serving jug. Serve warm or place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of custard and store in fridge until required.