親子丼 Oyakodon Recipe
Yield: 2 servings cooked separately
Time: 20 minutes
This recipe uses Japanese ingredients that aren’t always available at chain supermarkets. We suggest going to your local Asian grocer – some ideas in Australia can be found here.
2 Large Farm Pride Eggs
150 ML of Dashi (Can be purchased premade or made earlier)
1 TBS of Fish Sauce
1 TBS of Soy Sauce
½ an Onion
1 TBSP of Granulated Sugar
1 ½ TBSP of Sake
1 TBSP of Mirin
300 g of Chicken Breast
Japanese Seven Spice
3 Cups of Hot Cooked Brown Rice
Here we go
- Cut chicken into chunks the size of a thumb. Slice onion thinly.
- Add dashi, sake, mirin, soy sauce and sugar in a bowl. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Halve ingredients for better cooking.
- Add onion to frying pan, cover the contents with the bowl of liquid. Add chicken and ensure it is covered. Put on the lid and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, lower heat to medium. Cook till chicken is cooked.
- Crack an egg in a separate bowl and add to mixture. Gently mixing through if desired.
- Once the egg is cooked, serve on top of half the rice and repeat the process with the rest of the halved ingredients.
- Serve with lightly sprinkled Japanese Seven Spice.