Beef and Egg Empanada
- 500 G ground beef
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- ½ tbsp. cumin powder
- ½ tbsp. chilli powder
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 large brown or green onions, diced
- ½ bunch fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 3 medium hard-boiled Farm Pride eggs, sliced
- ¼ cup green olives, sliced
- 1 medium Farm Pride egg white, beaten
- 1 medium Farm Pride egg yolk, beaten
- 10 sheets short crust pastry
- Mix ground beef, paprika, cumin powder, chili powder thoroughly and refrigerate.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tbsp. of butter in medium-high heat and add finely chopped garlic cloves.
- Add meat mixture, stirring frequently until cooked through.
- Stir in diced onions and finely chopped oregano leaves.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then stir through finely chopped parsley.
- Make two discs with each sheet of pastry.
- Brush 1 egg white, beaten around the edge of each disc of pastry.
- Place filling in centre of each disc, top with a slice of boiled egg and 2-3 slices of olives. Fold disc shut and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on baking sheet and brush tops of empanadas with egg yolk, beaten.
- Bake until golden-brown, approximately 20-40 minutes, depending on the size of empanadas.