Chicken and Egg Donburi
Create time: 15 mins. Cook Time: 30 mins.
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 brown onion halved and thinly sliced
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 300 g chicken thigh fillet, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) dashi or chicken stock
- 5 Farm Pride eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g snow peas, halved length ways
- 2-3 green onions, finely shredded diagonally
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Tonkatsu sauce, optional, to serve
- Combine the rice and water in a heavy-based saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a deep-frying pan or wok. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft and lightly golden. Transfer to a plate. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Return onion and mushrooms to pan.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and dashi stock in a bowl. Pour 1/3 cup of the soy mixture into the pan. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Pour the eggs over the mixture, cover (use a baking tray if you don’t have a lid) and cook for about 2 minutes, until just lightly set.
- To serve, add the rice and remaining soy mixture to deep serving bowls. Cut the chicken omelette mixture into large pieces and place on top of the rice. Serve with snow peas, green onion and sesame seeds and a drizzle of tonkatsu sauce if you like.
Sushi rice, dashi, rice vinegar and tonkatsu sauce are available in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets.
Health, Meals, World Egg Day