George Calombaris – Churn-less Eggnog Ice Cream
- 250g caster sugar
- 150ml water
- 150ml full cream milk
- 6 free range egg yolks
- 75ml coffee liqueur
- 75ml dark rum
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 3 tsp cinnamon powder
- 250ml thickened cream
- 300g crème fraiche
- Using a stand mixer, whisk egg yolks until it reaches a ribbon stage on a moderate speed.
- Meanwhile, make a syrup with water and 200 g of sugar, and cook to 118 degrees C (using a thermometer to check this). Reduce the speed of the mixer, and slowly add the syrup until it is combined. Increase the speed, add vanilla and whip until cool.
- Make a glaze as flavouring for this ice cream, by combining the remaining sugar, coffee liqueur and rum in a small saucepan on a high heat by reducing to a tablespoon. Reserve.
- Using a mixing bowl, whip cream to a stiff peak, add cinnamon and fold through crème fraiche. Refrigerate until required.
- Fold egg mixture through cinnamon cream gently, add alcohol syrup and transfer to a vessel and freeze at -18 degrees C for at least 8-10 hours.