George Calombaris – Gigantes with Baked Eggs
- 250g gigantes beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 10g dried oregano
- 10g thyme, picked
- 10g tomato paste
- 75ml sherry vinegar
- 500g chopped tomato
- 250ml water
- 1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 8 free range eggs
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 head garlic, sliced in half horizontally
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Drain soaked beans and place in a large pot, cover well with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until tender. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pot and cook onion for 3 mins.
- Add carrots, celery, oregano, thyme and tomato paste. Stir over a low heat for 3 minutes. Deglaze with sherry vinegar.
- Add tomatoes and water and bring to the boil. Stir in beans
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees C.
- Spoon hot gigantes in 4 dishes, drizzle each with parsley, olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 8 mins in the oven.
- Meanwhile brush sour dough with olive oil and grill until golden. Rub with garlic. Serve immediately.