George Calombaris – Leek, Goat Cheese and Egg pita
- 3 leeks, white only, finely sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, finely sliced
- 6 free range eggs
- 240g goat cheese, crumbled
- 50g coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- 16 sheets Antoniou filo pastry
- 150ml ghee or clarified butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Icing sugar to dust
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- In a large saucepan, sweat leek, shallots and garlic until soft and translucent. Transfer to a tray and allow to cool.
- Boil eggs for 8 mins (cold water start) so that they are hard, and refresh in iced water. Peel away shell, and grate them using a cheese grater.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sautéed vegetables, grated eggs and goat cheese, season well with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Lay out 4 sheets of filo to the shape of a big square, brush with ghee, and place another 4 sheets on top. Across the length of the buttered sheets, add half of the mixture ensuring to leave the last 5 cm without any filling. Roll pastry around filling to roll a snake. From there twist the pastry into the shape of a coil ensuring not to break any of the pastry, and use the end of the pastry without any of the filling to tuck underneath the pita to hold it all together. Place onto a greased flat tray and repeat this process once more.
- Brush pitas with the last of the ghee, sprinkle with coriander seeds and bake for 12 mins or until golden and crispy. Dust with icing sugar, serve immediately.