Salted Caramel Ice Cream
Create time: six hours
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/6 tsp. of fine sea salt
- Yolks from 6 large Farm Pride eggs
- ¼ tsp. sea salt flakes
- Melt ¾ cups of sugar with 3 tbsp. water on medium-high heat in a medium-sized pot. Swirl mixture frequently, until a medium brown colour.
- Add heavy cream, milk, remaining ½ cup of sugar and fine sea salt. Simmer until caramel melts and cream mixture is smooth. Remove from pot.
- Whisk egg yolks, in a separate bowl.
- Whisking constantly, slowly whisk in 1/3 of hot cream into yolks, and then whisk yolk mixture back into the pot with remaining cream.
- Return pot to medium-high and cook until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl and leave to cool. Once at room temperature, cover and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Churn mixture in an ice cream machine (according to machine instructions).
- Sprinkle sea salt flakes into the mixture during the last two minutes of churning.
- Enjoy instantly or store in the freezer.