Travis McAuley – Avgolemono
- 1 whole chicken (approx. a 1.5kg chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 brown onion, peeled and roughly diced
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- ½ cup short grain rice
- 4 Farm Pride eggs, beaten
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Salt to taste
- Rinse out the inside of the chicken. Place into a pot just slightly larger than the chicken along with the garlic, pepper, onions, carrot and celery.
- Fill with enough cold water to cover approx. 2cm.
- Place a plate on top of the chicken to keep submerged and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer gently for 1 hour. Constantly skim to remove any impurities.
- Remove from the heat and allow chicken to cool in the stock.
- After 1 hour remove from the chicken from the stock and put aside.
- Strain stock into a fresh pot. Return to the boil and add the short grain rice. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is cooked. Remove from the heat.
- Whilst the rice is cooking remove the skin from the chicken and roughly shred the flesh.
In a small bowl with together the eggs and lemon juice until fluffy. Whisk in 1 cup of the hot stock and then whisk this mixture back into the hot stock.
- Place the stock back onto a high heat and continuously whisk until stock returns to the boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if you prefer more punch.
- At this point you can either place shredded chicken into serving bowls and spoon the soup over the top or just add all of the chicken into the soup and serve from the pot.
Watch Travis make this recipe below, or on the Farm Pride YouTube channel.