George Calombaris – Greek Style Nicoise Salad
- 300g sashimi grade tuna
- 200g sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 punnet yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 punnet red cherry tomatoes
- 4 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 50ml sherry vinegar
- 200g green beans, topped and tailed
- 80g Kalamata olives
- 4 free range eggs
- 200g thick Greek yoghurt, hung for 24 hours
- 1 cucumber, peeled, de seeded, grated
- 1/4 bunch dill, finely chopped
- 2 lemons for zesting
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre heat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- Clean up tuna of all blood lines and cut into a log/barrel shape. Season really well and seal in a very hot fry pan, to just change the colour of the surface all around the tuna. Drizzle in olive oil and roll in sesame seeds, reserve until required to slice.
- Place cherry tomatoes in a fry pan that fits your oven. Add shallots, garlic, seasoning and olive oil and roast for 3 minutes in the oven. Finish with sherry vinegar, stir and allow to cool.
- Blanch beans in boiling, salted water for 2-3 minutes, to assure they stay crunchy. Refresh into ice water, and then cut into 1 inch pieces whilst being cut on an angle. Refrigerate until required.
- To poach the eggs, bring the boil to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Line a small mixing bowl with a large sheet of plastic film (roughly 30cm x 45 cm), leaving a lip. Crack an egg into each bowl and top with a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Gently twist the end of the plastic film close to the egg, ensuring no air pockets are evident and quickly tie a knot. Gently place in the simmering water for 4-5 mins. Remove the plastic film with scissors just before serving.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine yoghurt, cucumber, dill, salt, olive oil and lemon zest for the tzatziki. Refrigerate until required.
- Slice the tuna into the desired pieces with a sharp knife. Arrange on a plate with the quenelles of tzatziki, scatter of green beans, olives, poached eggs, and the burst tomatoes with the pan juices scattered over the top. Serve immediately.