Meringue Nests with Lime Curd & Passionfruit
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 3 Farm Pride egg whites
- 225g castor sugar
- 6 Farm Pride egg yolks
- 4 passionfruit, pulp removed
- 100g sugar
- 150g butter, cut into cubes
- Juice and finely grated zest of 3 limes
- Preheat the oven to 100 C.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Continue beating and add half the sugar, adding 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Add the remaining sugar all at once and beat for a few minutes only.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spoon the mixture onto the trays, using a tbsp to shape a hollow in the centre.
- Bake on the lower oven shelves for 2 hours.
- Allow the meringues to cool, and store in an airtight container. Meringues can be made up to 5 days prior to serving.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and thick.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir in the lime juice and zest.
- Continue to stir constantly with a wooden spoon over low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool.
To serve, fill the centre cavity of the meringue nests with lime curd and place onto individual serving plates. Drizzle with passionfruit pulp and a dollop of pure cream.