- 125g polyunsaturated margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 24 muffin papers
- 25g polyunsaturated margarine
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbs low fat milk
- Few drops of pink food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Place muffin papers in to cupcake baking trays.
- Place margarine into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy and pale in colour. Add sugar slowly until well combined.
- Add the eggs very slowly one after the other. Add the vanilla essence and beat until all ingredients are well combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder, add half to the margarine mixture with half the milk, mix until well combined. Repeat by adding the remaining flour, baking powder and milk.
- Fill papers 3/4 full, place into the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes. To test, insert a skewer into the middle of a cupcake. If it comes out clean the cupcakes are ready.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and set aside to cool completely.
- For the icing, cream the margarine until pale and smooth.
- Add the milk and half the icing sugar and a few drops of food colouring. Beat until well combined then add the remaining icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread the icing onto the cold cupcakes and serve.
Tip: If the icing is too thin add a little more icing sugar, if it is too firm add more milk.