Polar Bear Cookies
Create time: 50 mins
- 1 Farm Pride Egg
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ROYAL ICING:
- 3 Farm Pride Eggs
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg, then vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Shape dough into 4 disks and roll each between 2 sheets of wax paper to 1/8-inch thick. Chill until firm, 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 15 minutes in the freezer.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out cookies. Place on prepared sheets. Reroll, chill, and cut the scraps.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until cookies are lightly golden brown around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Outline and fill each cookie (leaving the polar bear’s sweater area unfilled) with white royal icing. To make polar bear noses, pipe a mound of stiff royal icing in one spot and let sit until almost dry, then press on mini brown M&M’s. Pipe on faces, then decorate sweaters, scarf, and hat as desired using tinted royal icing.
Baking, Christmas, Desserts