Mexican Egg & Corn Fritters
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 can refried beans
- 400g no added salt corn kernels
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Light sour cream, lime wedges and salad leaves, to serve
- Place 4 eggs in a saucepan of cold water and set over a high heat. Bring to a boil, then cook for 6 minutes. Turn the heat off and let stand for 2 minutes. Chill under cold running water, then peel and chop. Set aside.
- Combine the refried beans, corn, celery and oregano in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Fold in the chopped eggs gently.
- Form into 8 patties, then place in the freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
- Dip the patties in flour, then the remaining beaten eggs, then breadcrumbs. Fry in hot (180 C) vegetable oil for 4 minutes, turning several times, until golden and crisp.
- Drain on kitchen paper, then serve with light sour cream, lime wedges and salad leaves.
Breakfast, Meals, Snacks